Can I just say….
How proud I am of this cake!
Really I’m not one of thinking what I do is good
This one I love! Even with everything against me it actually turned out good! Yay! It was probably cause of the day I made it, just saying…
Anyway things couldn’t have been more messier, I’m always messy when I cook and I’m trying to get better at it but yesterday was a different kind. Making the cake and the filling went great, no mistakes, nothing, photo time though that’s when it started.
Light is not that great at my house but I manage, yesterday it was already a bit late and it was cloudy which I thought it was great cause the photos always turned out better when it was cloudy. Of course it wasnt the case light gave me a hard time to take acceptable pictures. And acceptable is not acceptable. To help, the camera joined the light. I’m still getting used to adjust the camera settings to take better pictures and I still didn’t get it right, plus right after I took a couple of pictures I realized the camera needed to be charged! Thankfully it cooperated and lasted until the end.
That’s not all, I wanted sparklers on top of the cake, not two but three and they decided to join in on the party with the light and camera. As hard as I tried they wouldn’t lit quickly so while one was almost done I was still trying to lit the second and I realized three was going to be impossible. So I tried two sparklers, and it worked! For one picture…. One of the sparklers reached the middle and stopped, and that didn’t happen just for one pair but for two, the second pair both stopped in the middle so they at least were coordinated. Cooperation guys cooperation!!
Anyway, I was so happy with the way the cake turned out to be that all that was fun! And let’s talk about cake! Chocolate mousse as frosting is great and I think it became my favourite cause it was the right consistency and it doesn’t have tons of sugar and butter! Can I say healthy? The sponge cake is great as well but I forgot the moister! So I recommend you wet each layer of the cake before you fill it either with a bit of lemon juice, a blueberry reduction or even with a Port Wine reduction (my parents idea). I also mixed in the batter some blueberries but they will all go to the bottom cause the batter is too loose, so if you think it’s not necessary you can leave the blueberries out and add them to fill each layer.
- 6 eggs
- 200 g flour
- 250 g sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
Chocolate mousse (frosting)
- 6 eggs
- 6 tbspn sugar
- 300 g chocolate at least 70%
- 150 g butter
- Lemon juice
- Blueberry reduction
For the cake
- Pre-heat your oven to 170ºC. Grease and flour a cake pan (8inch or 6x4 inch).
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until it turns pale.
- Add the flour, bicarbonate soda and lemon juice mix until incorporated. Reserve.
- On a mixer beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Incorporate the egg whites with the yolk and flour mixture by hand, little at a time so you don't lose the air.
- Pour the mixture in your greased cake pan and cook it for 60 minutes if you're using the 6x4 inch pan, if not about 30 minutes or until the cake is all cooked in a 8 inch cake pan.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until it turns pale.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate and butter in a bain marie or in the microwave carefully.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the eggs and sugar, mix until incorporated. Reserve
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Incorporate it to the chocolate mixture carefully not to lose the air. At this point the mixture should be in a good consistency to be spread but put in the fridge until you need to use it.
- With your cake completely cool cut it in 3, or 2 horizontally if you used the bigger pan.
- Place one layer on a plate or cake stand and brush it either with a bit of lemon juice or blueberry reduction if using. Spread a bit of the mousse, add the blueberries and repeat for the next layer.
- Place the remaining layer of the cake on top and frost the top and sides of the cake until you don't have any frosting left.
I need more sparklers….